Having chronicled the shepherds of the flock who have come in and gone out in the years of the church’s existence, and some of the ingatherings while under their care and leadership, it is of equal interest to note the officers and those who maintained the rank and file, and bore the burden and heat of the day in times of trials and testing, and yet rejoicing in service, were steadfast and faithful to every interest and work of the church.
Of the first deacons, the names Abijah Barber and Peter Marlett are found, but no record of date of appointment or time in office. Next, in 1820, Forbes Southworth and David Monroe were chosen.
In September 1831, the above were superseded by John Fuller and Solomon Case, the former served faithfully until his death on October 17, 1848, and the latter until his removal in 1836. In April 1836, Nelson Fullman was chosen and served ten years until dismissed by letter in 1846.
The same year, 1836, Harvey Fuller, a brother of Rev. Timothy Fuller, was chosen to fill the office, and ordained October 26,1836. With him, Christ and the church were first of all things, always a ready witness for his Master in word and deed, he faithfully sustained the office of deacon for 43 years until called from labor to reward on November 7, 1879.
In 1843, Sylvester S. Millard and Arunah Mosely were chosen; the former on January 3rd and latter in June. Deacon Millard maintained a vigorous watch care of all the interests of the church and faithfully discharged the duties of his office for thirty-three years, departing this life on June 27, 1876, at the age of 78 years. Deacon Mosely served seven years, until his removal and dismission by letter to unite with the Fairport church. After a few years, on moving to Rochester, he united with the Second church and was chosen one of its deacons. It is recorded that he represented his church in the Monroe Baptist Association 49 years in succession.
Deacon Burr Northrop was admitted by letter from the Webster church on February 3, 1844,and it was “voted that Brother Northrop be received also in his official capacity as deaconrdquo; on February 4, 1844, and he served faithfully for twenty-five years. With the help of his good wife he had care of the communion set and attended to the furnishing for the Lord’s Supper as it was observed monthly. After the death of his wife, he lived with a daughter in Rochester but continued his connection with his home church. He died on May 4, 1877.
October 6, 1854, George W. Tower was chosen and consistently honored his call until his removal and dismission by letter on March 2, 1867. His death occurred in Wallington, Vt. on January 10, 1894. He was buried in Oakwood Cemetery.
Isaac Bronson and Alanson Higbie were chosen in 1872. Deacon Higbie filled the office most acceptably until his removal to Fairport in 1878, where he was called from the church militant to the church triumphant September 9, 1892. Deacon Bronson remained faithful to his duties and loyal to his office until his death, January 26, 1902. In 1879 Giles, son of Deacon Harvey Fuller, most reluctantly accepted the office, but gave faithful and consecrated service for ten years, entering into rest April 27, 1889.
Thomas Embury and George K, son of Deacon Alanson Higbie, were next chosen in 1883. Brother Higbie actively engaged in the work of the church and was faithful to his trust until moving to Brighton in 1892. After dismission by letter he united with the Park Avenue church of Rochester. Deacon Embury continued in faithful service and loyal support of the church until his sudden death by accident, October 9, 1902. D.S. Worden was elected in 1894 and resigned in 1897. Orin Lloyd was chosen March 6, 1897 and H. Willson Whalen was chosen May 14, 1903.
The record of one hundred years shows a total of twenty names enrolled as deacons in the church. Of this number six died while in active service, two on removal served other churches in the same office. Of the first five named, no further record can be found than given; two severed connection with the church on removal to join other churches; two retained their membership until death, although unable to serve in the office for some years because of distance of residence. Of the twenty named, only four were living in 1904. Seven rest in Oakwood Cemetery with a great company of saints and co-laborers who made up the church on earth.