The Christian Endeavor Society
On October 5, 1880, a call to organize a Christian Endeavor Society met with a hearty response and fourteen pledged themselves as active, and six as honorary members. The organization was completed October 12, 1880, and the election of officers resulted as follows: Miss Rose E. Gibbons, president, Jan Eldredge, vice president, C. Lacy Fuller, recording secretary, Mrs. M. V. Willson, corresponding secretary, and Miss Clara Higbe, treasurer. Twenty active members subscribed to the constitution and six associate and four honoraries made a total of thirty members. For several years there was a steady gain in membership. In November 1893 the society joined the Rochester local union. In July 1894, Miss Rose Gibbons and Miss Mary Harris were sent as delegates to the National Convention held at Cleveland, Ohio. In the fall of this same year delegates were sent to the State Convention at Albany. On December 30, 1894 a Junior Society was organized with Miss Clara Eldredge, superintendent. Rev. M. V. Willson, Mrs. A. P. Thomas and Miss Grace Thomas were sent as delegates to the National Convention held in Boston in July, 1895.
After 1898 there was a decline in the membership for reasons similar to those affecting the church in general as there was an immigration of a large a number of contributing members to other societies. Interest in the society continued for some time. It contributed financial assistance to the church. Missionary work received considerable attention and there was an active interest in the departments adopted.